With Summer now fading into the distance, and the cool breeze of winter ascending upon us, now is the perfect time to take advantage of those last few balmy days, to enjoy freshly cooked prawns, beautifully combined with a light pasta to ease your way into winter dining.
Let the aromas of prawns seared in garlic, sizzling in the pan along with bunches of freshly cut basil, meander its way through your kitchen and excite family and friends as they await this taste sensation.
Follow the steps below to create this simple yet impressive dining experience:
- 1 bunch basil, leaves removed
- 1/4 cup slivered or blanched almonds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 300g angel hair pasta
- 1 tbs olive oil, extra
- 16 cooked prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- Reserve a few small basil leaves for garnish. Process remaining basil, almonds and garlic until finely chopped. With motor running, gradually add oil, scraping down bowl occasionally. Transfer to a bowl and stir in Parmesan. Season to taste. Cover surface closely with plastic to prevent discolouration.
- Cook pasta in boiling, salted water as per packet instructions. Drain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water. Add extra oil, prawns, pesto and lemon juice to pasta with enough of the cooking water to thin it out a little. Serve immediately, topped with reserved basil.
TIP: Freeze prawn shells and use them to make seafood stock.
Recipe serves: 4
15 minutes prep | 10 minutes cooking
*All ingredients are available at Woolworths enex