This modern take on the Chinese broken-rice porridge (Congee), is just the ticket on a cold drizzly night. Packed full of ginger, garlic and a variety of mushrooms and herbs, this savoury-soupy-warming meal will also help strengthen your immune system through the cold leaving you fresh to start the fast approaching Spring.
- 100g shitake mushrooms, sliced
- ½ brown onion, finely diced
- 50g freshly grated ginger
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 cups white rice
- 7 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tsp rice wine
- 100g enoki mushrooms
- 300g oyster mushrooms
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Sliced spring onions
- Fried shallots
- Fresh coriander
- Saute onion and shitake mushrooms in 1 tsp sesame oil for 3 minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic, rice and stock and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally and adding extra water if needed. The rice should start to break down into smaller pieces.
- Sautee enoki and oyster mushrooms in a dash of oil until just starting to brown.
- Serve congee into bowls and drizzle with 1 tsp sesame oil and soy sauce in each bowl. Top with the sautéed mushrooms, spring onions, fried shallots and fresh coriander.
Recipe and Images by Jade Walker