Quench your thirst and Indulge yourself this season with a refreshing chilled glass of Jamie Oliver’s homemade peach & basil lemonade that the whole family is bound to love – and the best part is, it’s fast and easy to make, so you’ll spend less time in the kitchen and more time in the sun.
Follow the below simple steps to create the long overdue taste of spring, its as easy as that. Enjoy!
- 6 pitted peaches, chopped into 2cm pieces
- 7 lemons
- 350g caster sugar
- 12 fresh basil sprigs, plus extra leaves to garnish
- Sparkling or still water, to serve
- Pop the peaches into a large pan and finely grate in the zest of 3 of the lemons. Stir in the sugar and basil sprigs, then top with 500ml of water.
- Place the pan over a medium-heat and simmer it for 5-10 minutes, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Leave it to simmer, but don’t let it boil, until the fruit is completely soft.
- Mash the fruit with a potato masher to help it cook right down, and leave it simmering for another 5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened a little. Then remove it from the heat and set it aside to cool.
- Once the syrup has cooled completely, strain it through a coarse sieve into a mixing bowl, discarding all of the solids. Squeeze in the juice from the rest of the lemons, then stir to combine.
- Pour the cordial into a large jug or sterilised bottle. This will keep, undiluted, for 2-3 days in the fridge.
- To serve, pour some of the cordial into a jug, tip it up with sparkling or still water to taste, and chill in the fridge. serve the lemonade over ice and garnish with the extra basil.
*Recipe makes 1 litre
*All ingredients are available at Woolworths enex