Year after year we’re faced with the frightening sight that is leftovers from Christmas celebrations.
Leftovers can take us well into the new year, with our new years resolutions being trialed and tested from day 1. Do yourself a favour this year and try Jamie Oliver’s clever recipe to turn leftover Christmas meat into a drool-worthy dinner that will clear-up so much space in your fridge… your welcome.
- 200g leftover cooked higher-welfare turkey meat
- 200ml leftover higher-welfare turkey gravy
- 1 carrot
- 1 apple
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 gherkins
- 2 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 4 seeded wholemeal buns
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tbs HP sauce
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 1/2 ts chipotle tobasco sauce
- A splash of Worcestershire sauce
- Shred and pull apart your leftover turkey meat and place in a small pan with a splash of water and 4 tablespoons of gravy. Pop a lid on and place on the lowest heat for 10 minutes to warm through. Warm the rest of the gravy in a separate pan, ready to use it for dunking later.
- Meanwhile, peel and finely shred the carrot, matchstick the apple, peel and finely slice the red onion, and pick and slice the mint leaves. Place it all in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of pickling liquid from your gherkin jar. Finely slice the gherkins, using a crinkle-cut knife if you’ve got one, and the chilli, add to the bowl, mix well, lightly season and put aside. Mix all the bbq sauce ingredients together.
- Split and toast your buns, then spread the bbq sauce inside them, top and bottom. Pile your pulled turkey on the bun bases, drizzle with a little gravy and top with some of that tasty slaw. Pop the bun lids on, and you’re away. Serve the rest of the gravy on the side for a naughty dunk, along with any leftover slaw.
All ingredients are available at Woolworths enex – Entry via St Georges Terrace.