Finding that the summer heat’s making you not want to cook a large hot meal at the end of the day?
If you still want something light, yet filling, and packed with nutritional goodness, then give this delicious salad a try.
Follow the steps below to create this simple yet tasty summer lunch or dinner:
- 1kg butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2½ tbs olive oil
- ½ cup French puy lentils or brown lentils, rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 60g rocket and spinach leaves
- 1 cup light Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbs lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped coriander
- ¼ cup chopped mint
Preheat oven to 200°c. Place pumpkin and onion on an oven tray and drizzle with 11/2 tbs oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 35-40 minutes or until golden.
2. Meanwhile, place lentils in a saucepan with garlic and 4 cups cold water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes or until lentils are just tender. Drain and discard garlic. Cool for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, to make yoghurt dressing. Whisk yoghurt, cumin, garlic and lime juice together to combine. Add herbs and season to taste with sea salt flakes and cracked black pepper. Add 1-2 tbs water to thin, if necessary.
4. Toss lentils with remaining olive oil, lemon juice and lemon rind. Add rocket and spinach leaves and toss through the pumpkin and onion. Season to taste. Place on a serving platter and drizzle with dressing, to serve.
Recipe serves: 4
10 minutes prep | 40 minutes cooking
*All ingredients are available at Woolworths enex