Like a filly galloping out of the stalls towards the finish line, the spring racing carnival is coming down the stretch and will be upon us in no time! Discover the finest spring racing attire at Enex Perth.
One of the most stylish events on the spring racing calendar (second only to Melbourne Cup, of course!), Derby Day is the time to indulge your inner penguin and flock trackside in your favourite black and white apparel.
- Selena jumpsuit, $129.95, Decjuba
- Seabreeze sun hat, $129, Mimco
- Sublime Belt bag, $179, Mimco
- Norvella heels, $149.95, Nine West
- Drop Link flower earrings, $14.99, Colette by Colette Hayman
Do: Consider comfort when deciding which shoes to pair with your frock or jumpsuit; nobody wants to be seen walking home with their heels in their hands! Your best bet is to choose a block heel as this style offers superior support to stilettos.
Don’t: Select a headpiece that you’ll only wear once. A great alternative to a fiddly fascinator, a wide brim hat will see you through the spring racing carnival and into summer.
- Silk tie, $69, Jack London
- Silk pocket square, $39, Jack London
- Oliver brogue, $159.20, Jack London
- Black suit jacket, $599, Calibre
- Copley White Shirt, $109.95, MJ Bale
Do: Express yourself with accessories. Derby Day’s black and white dress code is restrictive but you can still bring personality to your ensemble with your choice of tie, pocket square, socks and cufflinks.
Don’t: Forget to wear in new dress shoes before race day! Break in your shoes before you head to the track to avoid blisters and foot pain.
Far less restrictive than Derby Day in the style stakes, Melbourne Cup is your opportunity to have fun with fashion – experiment with floral prints, magnificent millinery and plenty of colour. Entering Fashions on the Field? Opt for classic over contemporary silhouettes to win over the judging panel.
- Laelia headband, $99.95, Mimco
- Belle Epoque dress, $299, Alannah Hill
- Mel Buckle mini bag, $54.99, Colette by Colette Hayman
- Gold Metal Rose bracelet, $10.99, Colette by Colette Hayman
- Pruce heels, $149.95, Nine West
Do: Embrace ladylike details such as floral prints, lace accents and pretty pastels.
Don’t: Dress as if you’re headed out for a night on the town. Nightclub attire that leaves little to the imagination is not appropriate for the spring racing carnival.
- Kelsey Oxford shirt, $109.94, MJ Bale
- Calero pocket square, $39.95, MJ Bale
- Lime Brown shoe, $499, MJ Bale
- Seafoam skinny tie, $149, Calibre
- Seafoam Slim Suit SC S8, $699, Calibre
Do: Mix and match. You don’t have to wear a two or three piece suit to Melbourne Cup. It’s hard to go wrong with a patterned blazer with chinos, or a solid colour blazer with patterned pants.
Don’t: Forget to drink water throughout the day! The combination of a suit, sunshine and a few too many champagnes can be diabolical. Keep your cool and remain dapper and debonair at all times with plenty of H20 between bubbles.